Sunday, March 27, 2016

Genealogy Do-Over Month 3: Interviews Part I

So, as with any great plans of mine, other things get in the way. I had been really excited to start over with grandmother's line. But here we are at the end of March and I am pretty much at the same place I was at the end of my last post in January. 

You may be able to relate. I'm sure many of you have had other events get in the way of your hobbies. Or, you may just be too tired at the end of a work day to do anything other than sit down on the couch and watch a marathon of Supernatural on Netflix. (which is what I have been doing.)

Supernatural - a really fun show.

In March Our Genealogy Group had our 5th Annual All Day Workshop. 
But, it was also the time to do part 3 of Thomas MacEntee's Genealogy Do-Over. 
In month 3 the topics were to conduct a self interview and to conduct a family interview. . 

For my self interview, I originally thought I would just verify that what I had down in 
Family Tree Maker 
for me was correct. So, I checked it, and it is correct but, because, I'm not dead, 
I haven't had any military service, we have no children, and I'm not religious so there is no baptism information stuff listed, it really looked empty. 
My "self interview" felt lame.

I decided to conduct a "self interview" on the StoryCorps app. I'm not too happy with it either. I really like the app. The app itself is awesome. It really helps with conducting the interview. I just wasn't actually prepared myself to do it. So, that is on my "to do list". 

I also need to get my family interviews done. There are several people I could interview about my grandmother's family. But there are some people I should interview for sure, that is my mom, my sister, my brother and my aunt. I think I will be bending the rules a bit, and I may be doing a family interview in June, as my aunt lives in Kentucky and I will be attending my cousin's wedding then. I hope she will feel like taking a bit of time for me. My sister and my brother, will not know anything more than I do, but, I would like to get their perspective. 

Guess what, I did interview my grandmother several years before she passed. I have a small bit of one sitting here next to me. I asked her where she was when she heard about Kennedy being shot. She said she was at the dentist's office with my mom. She said a lot of people were crying in the waiting room. Grandmother wasn't crying. She was really embarrassed actually because mom was laughing hysterically because the dentist had her on laughing gas. The only thing mom remembers about the day, is that she got a Donald Duck coloring book at the PX. 





No comments:

Post a Comment